Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > Beauty ~ In the Physical Sense > Skin Care

Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Emichiee
Dazzling Beauty

Referrals: 0

Emichiee's Friends Network
Huh Retinoids and AHA ?

I am trying to gather a little more information about the two, since I am planning to start using them, unless there would be something wrong with them of course.

I am big on early anti-aging and since I will be turning 26 in a month I feel like it is time to upgrade from my regular "lots of sunscreen" regimen.

I have found plenty of Info on AHA, I guess I would just like to hear some extra feedback.

What puzzles me more is Retinoid, I read that even people in their early 20ies would do good using it. I was thinking a very low % retinoid a couple of times a week might be beneficial for my skin.

Does anyone maybe know if there is such a thing as a retinoid with natural or organic INCI? I really, really want to keep staying away from as much harmful chemicals as possible.

Some help, pretty please?

Emichiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:53 AM   #2
rossjen
Raw Beauty

rossjen's Friends Network

Have you heard of the Derma E skincare line? It is sold in Whole Foods and larger health food stores in the US, and the products I've tried from them are quite impressive (and affordable). Are you still in Germany? I don't know offhand if this line is sold there, they are currently not listed on the international distributer list:
http://www.dermae.net/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=dei.portal&cmd=dei.int.other&sess ionid=1485720047
I am 29, and have been using a retinol product off and on for the past three years for preventative reasons (but more to clear up acne and even out my skintone, which tends to be blotchy) at night. I have tried the Ester C Moisturizing Serum with E Skin Recovery Complex and the Ester C Moisturizing Creme. I like both of them, but prefer the serum slightly because the creme can get a bit heavy when the weather is warmer. They have other creams that feature retinol as well.
Their website is pretty thorough, and you can get a good idea of what they offer, the benefits of their products, and an ingredient listing.

I tried the line initially through their sample package offer. You get a very generous package of samples (about 12 packets) for just the price of shipping. Here is the link for that:
http://www.dermae.net/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=dei.portal&cmd=dei.freesampler&se ssionid=1485720047
The "less natural" option that I am using now is Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream, which I have also had good results with, but I wish it didn't have some of the ingredients in it that it does (parabens being the worst). However, this is much easier to find in drugstores for me.

Sorry for the book, but I hope I've helped some
rossjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:57 AM   #3
rossjen
Raw Beauty

Forgot to answer the other part of your question: I don't use AHA, because my skin is a bit on the sensitive side. Retinol works better for me, and I haven't had issues with sensitivity using it just at night.

Last edited by rossjen : September 3rd, 2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM   #4
Emichiee
Dazzling Beauty

Thank you for all that Info Rossjen!

I live in NY so no problem ordering the product.

I will definetly check out that website. I also have a little bit of blemishes, so maybe the retinol can finally clear that up?

My skin is sensitive in terms of - "breaks out and reacts to changes", but since even stronger glycolic peels have never been a problem I think retinol and AHA will be okay too.

Just one question - I know youre not supposed to use retinoids and AHA together...so what time of the day would you apply AHA if retinoids are for the evening. ?

I was even considering not using retinoids and AHA every night since I feel my skin does not need that much "cell turnover help"

So I was wondering if every 2nd or even 3rd day would be good?

When I was searching the internet for organic/ natural retinol creams I also came across this brand:

http://www.bioentopic.com/catalog/

They have a 1%retinol cream with very good INCI - http://www.bioentopic.com/catalog/pr...id=14&language

Only the Germall bothers me a little but that is so much better than most "natural" brands.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM   #5
rossjen
Raw Beauty

I've read that if you use both AHA and retinol, you need to switch between the two. A lot of people apparently use one and then change to the other on alternate nights, but your plan sounds better to me.
I am also not sure about using AHA during the day, it does make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so I would be worried about that issue.
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Eryka
Untouched Beauty

Eryka's Friends Network

Personally, starting to use an AHA plus Retinol would be overkill on your skin. Try introducing one at a time, I would suggest the Retinol.

Green Cream is something I've been using for almost a year and it has re-texturized my face. I owe all of my progress to it.

www.greencream.com

If you want to know anymore, let me know.
Eryka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Emichiee
Dazzling Beauty

Eryka, I agree. I have chosen to go with a retinol for now.

Since I wanted something completely organic and if possible also green when it comes to any hazardous ingredients I went with BioEntopic.
They also have 1% of Retinol in there which is high for an over the counter product.
I don't think I need a prescription retinoid, maybe when I get wrinkles in the future.

So far so good, my skin loves the BioEntopic Cream. And yes, it does improve the texture of the face. My skin was ok but not all clear of blemishes and it got rid of all the tiny uneven bumps and baby pimples..
I really love it!

Its very gentle and moisturizes well too.

Old January 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Beauty_Geek
Untouched Beauty

Beauty_Geek's Friends Network

Hi ya, sorry to but in on your conversation but while your talking about retinol cream wondering but

Having just 30 Im just starting to use a Skin Ceuticals Retinol cream 0.5, do you think this should be an ok start for a first time user of retinol cream!! If i have sensative skin could this make my skin break out? Silly question but what is the difference apart from the chemicals between natural retinol cream and natural, can the natural stuff actually do lot for skin? Thankyou
Beauty_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote